Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A few thoughts on this So-Called Championship Series

So I couldn't figure out why Mack Brown wasn't calling timeouts as Colt McCoy led his glorious, fevered march down the field to shame Le Chiffre and the Ohio State Buckeyes. Then I remembered: he probably didn't want to give Blake Gideon enough time to wreck the season. Again. (Who gave up the touchdown to Terrelle Pryor Monday night? Oh. Yeah.)

So I'm a level-headed guy. Despite the rather mean-spirited preceding paragraph. The main reason why I was so terrified Ohio State would win was not because I love Texas and ranked Ohio State as #2 on my Most Hated College Football Teams list - though that's true.

No, I could not bear the thought of the BCS getting it right. We saw Utah whup Alabama. Some of us even saw someone win the Virginia Tech/Cincinnati game. The Texas/Ohio State game was too close, and the jury is out on what will happen when Florida and Oklahoma play tomorrow. But had Ohio State beat Texas, then the BCS would have been right. I'm not sure what it will mean if Florida beats Oklahoma (though other, less level-headed college football fans, will say it means Texas belonged there all along). But I'm willing to sacrifice for the good of everybody.

With Texas not even having a chance to play for the National Championship, there's something wrong, and even the most Stoopsian Loyalist can admit that. Or maybe they can't. Because there are too many football fans who love the BCS when their team benefits. And too many football fans hate the BCS when their team is left out. Don't get me wrong, I'm mad as hell that Brian Orakpo won't have a chance to eat Tebow's face. But if Texas doesn't get that chance, the BCS is suspect.

I'm fine with it, because there are enough people in truly powerful positions who think it's suspect, too. And that pleases me. There's a 50/50 chance Florida will win the National Championship, and Tebow is William Wallace, I get that. But Texas won't have to play Florida. And that pleases me, too. If Oklahoma loses, I can rely on ESPN to turn about-face and get righteously indignant (though they're the same numbnuts who just signed a contract to extend the BCS' Reign of Terror to 2014.)

If it meant that in 2009 Texas, who will probably be the pre-season #1 (don't even get me started on pre-season rankings), lost to Oklahoma but won the Big 12 and would get the nod over some other, more deserving team for the National Championship and then got smoked by USC...I would be fine with that. Because it's another chance to ruin the BCS.

I'll not stand by and rail on the BCS all season long and say it's a fair system when my team comes out on top. I will not be that guy. I'm a post-modern college football fan. Because I love college football, and I love all of you. And post-modernism is so in right now. Are you with me? ARE YOU WITH ME?

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Until there is a playoff I am refusing to acknowledge any national championships. It's just not right. Utah right now has a bigger beef than Texas too.

Heather said...

The BCS is severely flawed, that's obvious. However, there is no easy fix. I agree that one team (or two or three...) seem to get screwed over every year and left out of the big game, but that's how it is. There's always next year. The thing I take away from this season is:

Don't lose. Not even one. Then your shot at the big game is MUCH higher.

Unless you aren't in a BCS conference. Then you're just screwed. Sorry Utes...you handed it to Bama, but the rest of your conference is pretty sad, and that hurts you.

James said...

Mmm. I'm not so sure. The Mountain West had more ranked teams than two BCS conferences for much of the season. Aside from Texas, the only other team (before the first half tonight) to give Oklahoma a run was TCU - who plays in the Mountain West, along with BYU and Air Force.

So I agree that the Utes got screwed, but it's not theirs - or their conferences fault.

Nathan said...

The MWC was better than the Big East this year.