Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time-Honored Cliches, and My Apparent Lack of Comprehension

So today in church we were talking about giving. And how you are told from the time you are little to save your money for a rainy day. Does anyone actually know what this means? Because I'll be 29 years old next week and I just realized what saving your money for a rainy day means.

Apparently it means to save your money for a time when you're really going to need it. As in the Rainy Day is a metaphor for a crappy situation, like when your washer breaks or you need a new set of tires.

Are you kidding me? You expect a 7-year old to know what that means? Because until about 10:40am Eastern time, I thought saving your money for a rainy day meant to save your money until the weather sucks. Because when the weather sucks you can't go out and play, you might as well go to the mall. And spend money.

Is there any wonder our country is running a trillion-dollar deficit? Because there's a generation of us who think that you're supposed to spend your money when there's nothing else to do.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hahaha. You know, I'm going to admit that I thought the exact same thing.

And it wasn't until high school that it clicked in my head that U-Haul meant 'you haul.'

Yeah.